Monday, March 28

bookstores are the new singles bars

Had a good Sunday. Stomach problems seem to have subsided. Spent the early morning writing then at the gym. In the afternoon I went to the lovely Girly's brunch where I got to hang out with some of my favorite ladies and gorge myself on tasty foods.

I had a birthday party to go to that evening so I spent the hours in between at a cafe doing something I haven't done in a long time - writing a poem with pen and paper. It sounds so silly, but it felt really good to write the old fashioned way. I got about 3/4 of what I wanted to say down in an hour or so.

Recently I decided I need a "scent." I've never been big on perfumes but I thought it was time to experiment. So I headed over to a store on E. 7th called Sniff and picked up a new oil called Ranee.

On the way up to the party, I ducked into St. Marks Books to get a card for my friend. I picked out the card and started perusing the new releases. I had my headphones on blasting a station playing '80's freestyle - don't ask - completely oblivious to the world around me. Suddenly this guy is standing next to me. I look at him, take off my headphones and try to figure out if I know him.

He says, "I just saw you and wanted to say the dark colors you're wearing really bring out your features."

I just look at him.

"So I think I'll just leave aside all the pick up lines and introduce myself. I'm _________ (I can't remember his name)."

I continue to look at him. I don't know what to say.

He extends his hand for me to shake. I feel rude, but I just turn away and say "sorry I have to go."

Ugh! Perhaps, my new "scent" was to blame.

No comments: