Sunday, June 3

A Bar of Their Own

Went to a fun new queer party in the far E. Village tonight. On my way there, I passed by the dear Nuyorican Poets Cafe. It's been ages since I've been out and about in the old, old neighborhood. I spent so much time in that area in college and in my twenties, I feel as if that's where I truly "grew up." The party offered a bevy of hostesses in matching pink sequined dresses and no aggrevation. Bravo! While there, I spotted a chick in white shorts and stiletto heels which I explained to my friend was a sort of classic late '80's Jersey girl look.

After the queer gathering, we headed over to another bar on Avenue B, which I can only describe as a "gay bar for straight guys."

Really, it was packed almost completely with semi-alterntive looking dudes male-bonding over beer and watching Lord of the Rings. I've never seen so many heterosexual men in one joint without an equal or greater number of women present. It was disconcerting. At some point, this guy interrupted a conversation I was having with a friend to tell us about the leak in his apartment and the subsequent boat shoes he might have to purchase before asking my friend if she had a nice leather couch he could lie down on so he could tell her more inane stuff. My friend said a sharp no. He then began babbling about running off with my friend to the Jersey shore (Jersey, again). I don't think anyone has ever willingly "run off" to the Jersey shore. It's more of a place you just wind up. Even the most hardcore Jersey devotee would rather "run off" to Hawaii or Greece or somewhere less polluted. We left abruptly.

No comments: