Friday, December 31

the big lists

Favorite Books I Read in 2004:

I think my favorite book of 2004 was Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn. There are many facets to the story. And it covers a plethora of topics ranging from homelessness to alcoholism to mental illness. All of these problems are manifest in Flynn's father who winds up seeking shelter at the homeless center where Flynn works. Although my own father didn't have these exact problems,
something about their struggle was reminiscent of our relationship.

I'm sort of a memoir/nonfiction junkie so my other favorite books follow this lead.

Crazy in the Kitchen by Louise DeSalvo was a really great history of Italian American culture. Again, I related to much of her story, my grandparents immigrated to the U.S. around the same time her parents did. She deftly describes her relative's fervent need to assimilate to American culture while explaining the intricate family wars going on in her mother's kitchen.

I also liked What's the Matter with Kansas? by Thomas Frank. About why so many Americans vote against their own self-interest. A timely read. Truth & Beauty: A Friendship by Ann Patchett was a great read. This is the story of Patchett's friendship with Lucy Grealy. Once again I have a personal connection to this story as Lucy was my teacher and mentor at The New School.

In 2004, I was proud to be included in a few really ass-kicking anthologies; Pills, Thrills, Chills and Heartache, I Do/I Don't: Queers on Marriage and Best Lesbian Erotica 2005 are all really amazing.

2005 Resolutions:

Like I've said before, I never expect to get all these things done. But if I hit up most of them, I will feel very accomplished.

MAJOR Resolutions:
1. Finish my BOOK that I've been working on for four years
2. Find a Literary Agent (I've been putting this off for a long time but maybe when I finish number one, this will happen)
3. More Freelance Writing
4. Submit to more lit magazines, anthologies, etc.
5. Place my poetry collection and anthology with a publisher already

Not So Major But Important:
6. Learn how to put pictures up on this blog
7. Join real gym
8. Learn how to say no
9. Finish renovation in my apartment
10. It would be nice to have sex again...

Okay, I think I've shared enough. Off to do some real work.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: